Thank you for your interest in the University of Oregon Chinese Flagship Program! We look forward to receiving your application. Before you begin, please read these instructions carefully.
To ensure that you are able to submit a completed application, please prepare the items listed below before you begin. Once you start filling out the application form, please complete it all. You will not be able to return to your application if you leave it unfinished. We recommend that you type your essays in a document so that you can simply copy and past them into the essay fields of the application. If you have all of your materials ready in advance, the application form will take around 20 minutes to complete.
- Your basic personal information and contact information
- Your University of Oregon ID number. You must complete the University of Oregon standard admissions application in order to receive an ID number.
- The high schools and colleges you have attended and your GPA
- SAT, ACT, and/or AP/IB scores (optional)
- Details about other languages you know, your community involvement and/or work experience, and other colleges to which you are applying
- A short essay in English (less than 500 words) The topic of this essay is: “Explain the following: What are formal and informal activities that helped you develop your current Chinese language skills? What are your current academic plans? How do you believe the Chinese Flagship Program will help you achieve your career goals?”
- A short essay in Chinese (200-300 Chinese characters) Choose one of the following topics: “Share a significant experience, achievement, or risk you have taken and its impact on you” or “Discuss a local, national, or international issue relating to greater China and Chinese culture that is of personal importance to you.”
- The names and email addresses of two people who can provide letters of reference. If possible, one should be a Chinese teacher.
- You will be asked whether or not you would like to live in the Chinese “Living the Language” academic residential community in the Global Scholars Hall. If you select “yes,” you will be automatically be considered for priority placement in the Global Scholars Hall and for additional scholarship support. Follow this link for more information: https://chineseflagship.uoregon.edu/housing/.
If you have any questions or need to access this application in a different format, please call the Flagship coordinator at (541) 346-1766 or send an email to email@example.com.